StringWorks Blog

Notes from the founder of StringWorks, Todd French. Please feel free to email me with your questions or comments, or even suggestions on blog topics I might tackle.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

If it ain't Baroque...

I must throw some kudos the way of Jay Ifshin (brand known as Jay Haide) for a very successful and bold move to provide a quality, affordable line of Baroque violin-family instruments to string players. This is a line I long wanted to introduce through StringWorks, and for roughly 18 months I actively worked on design and potential distribution, but demand was still so low and other tasks drew me away.

I've enjoyed 'early music' as a performer and audience member for years, and although I don't play it nearly as much as I used to, I still enjoy the wonderful fresh experience of high Baroque music and the ornamentation and creativity that comes with performing it. Obtaining instruments was a struggle for many, many years, and quite often modern instruments were simply fitted with Baroque bridges, as if this would pass for the real thing. An affordable, reliable, quality Baroque instrument is a necessity with the still small (but actively growing) world of Baroque string players, and bravo to Jay for making it a reality.

1 Comments:

Blogger Benjamin said...

There is probably more demand than you might think. Now more than ever. After all, not everyone has over $3000 to spend on a Lu-Mi or $5000 for a Jay Haide! Just something to think about. :-)

7:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home